Residence Life

McFarland 209
(800) 532-8641 extension 37728
(701) 845-7728

VCSU Required Housing Policy

All full time, first-time freshman students are required to reside on campus and be on a board plan for a period of one full academic year or two full semesters. In addition all new students, under the age of 21, that will reside in VCSU Housing must provide documentation of immunity against meningococcal disease in accordance with the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education policy on immunizations. The policy provides for exemptions upon application under established campus procedures if: (a) immunization is contraindicated by a medical condition; or (b) a student’s beliefs preclude participation in an immunization program.

The only exceptions to this policy are as follows:

  1. The student is living at home, providing the home residence is within 35 miles of Valley City.
  2. The student is 21 years of age.
  3. The student is married or the single head of a household.

Students and parents/guardians will be asked to provide written verification of any off-campus residence. Students determined to be in violation of this policy will be considered in violation of the VCSU Student Code of Conduct and will be subject to disciplinary procedures. Students wishing to be considered as an exception are to contact the Residence Life Office.

Student Apartments

Viking Court is a 16 unit housing complex consisting of two bedroom apartments. Students who wish to reside in Viking Court are encouraged to apply early at the Residence Life Office.

Residence Halls

Valley City State University provides five residence halls for a variety of life-styles. Rooms are provided with beds, desks, dressers, chairs, and closets. Students are required to provide their own bedding and towels. A live-in staff of Hall Directors and Resident Assistants contribute to the quality and convenient on-campus housing option. A complete listing of the residence hall policies and procedures and a description of the residence halls may be found in the Residence Hall Handbook or online at