Business Office

McFarland Hall 2nd Floor 215

Vice President for Business Affairs

Wesley Wintch
(800) 532-8641 extension 37234
(701) 845-7234
FAX (701) 845-7247

Tuition and Other Fees

Valley City State University charges tuition per credit hour, based on resident status. Mandatory fees also are charged per credit hour, capping at 12 credits. Students enrolled in online courses are charged distance mandatory fees per credit hour. For an estimate of charges, go to our Net Price Calculator.

All financial obligations with the university must be paid on or before the due date at the beginning of each semester unless payment arrangements have been approved by the Business Office. A student who has not paid in full or set up an arrangement with the Business Office by the due date may be withdrawn for nonpayment. VCSU enrolled students may view their account balance and activity by accessing the VCSU website, clicking on the Campus Connection link, and entering their user ID and password. Since Valley City Sate University is a state-supported institution governed by the State of North Dakota, tuition and fees are subject to change by the Board of Higher Education or by the State Legislature at any time.

The university employs financial aid crediting as a means of delivering student financial aid. Under this process, financial aid awards to a student are applied as credits to the student’s account with the University, rather than being processed as payments to the student. After aid is credited, any balance owed by the student must be paid according to the general guidelines presented above. If financial aid credited exceeds the amount owed by the student, a refund will be issued to the student.

Residency Requirements for Tuition Purposes

Rules and regulations for determining resident status are specified under Section 15-10-19 of the North Dakota Century Code and are further defined under Section 504 of the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education Policy Manual. An application for North Dakota resident student status may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar, and any questions on residence must be discussed with the Registrar before registration. The form must be filed and approved with the Registrar before the beginning of the semester.

North Dakota

For the purpose of determining legal residency for tuition purposes, a resident student is defined by law as follows:

  1. A person whose custodial parent(s) or guardian have been legal residents of North Dakota for 12 months immediately prior to the beginning of the academic term;
  2. A person 18 years of age or older who has been a legal resident of North Dakota for 12 months immediately prior to the beginning of the academic term;
  3. A person who graduated from a North Dakota high school;
  4. A full-time active duty member of the armed forces or a member of a North Dakota national guard unit;
  5. A spouse or a dependent of a full-time active duty member of the armed forces or a member of a North Dakota national guard unit.
  6. A spouse or dependent of an employee of any institution of higher education in the state;
  7. The spouse of any person who is a resident for tuition purposes;
  8. Any other person who was a legal resident of this state for at least three consecutive years within six years prior to the beginning of the academic term;
  9. A child, spouse, widow, or widower of a veteran as defined in NDCC section 37-01-40 who was killed in action or died from wounds or other service-connected causes, was totally disabled as a result of service-connected cause, died from service-connected disabilities, was a prisoner of war, or was declared missing in action.


Residents of Minnesota and their dependents may attend a North Dakota state institution of higher learning and pay a special tuition rate that is lower than the normal non-resident rate. A student who has graduated from a Minnesota high school within the previous twelve months prior to the first term of enrollment will automatically be granted reciprocity status and will NOT be required to complete the reciprocity application process if the student’s state of residence coincides with the high school state and the student provides an official high school transcript. All other students will be required to file a reciprocity application. Students may apply for Minnesota reciprocity online at Paper forms are available from the Enrollment Services Office and must be sent to: Minnesota Higher Education Coordinating Commission, 901 Capitol Square Building, 550 Cedar Street, St. Paul, MN, 55101. Students who participated in the reciprocity program and have earned credit in the previous 12 months will not have to reapply.

Contiguous States/Provinces

Although residents of South Dakota, Montana, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are not covered by reciprocity agreements, they pay lower tuition than do other non-residents, which is an amount equal to 125 percent of the North Dakota resident rate.

Western Undergraduate Exchange Program

Valley City State University participates in the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program. Currently, students from Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming may enroll at a special tuition level which is an amount equal to 125 percent of the North Dakota resident rate.

Midwest Student Exchange Program

Valley City State University participates in the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP). Currently, students from Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, and Wisconsin may enroll at a special tuition level which is an amount equal to 125 percent of the North Dakota resident rate.


Any student less than 18 years of age, or any dependent student 18 years of age or older, whose parents or guardian reside outside the state of North Dakota and are not residents of any of the above states or provinces, is not considered to be a resident of the state of North Dakota.


Any student who is not a U.S. citizen, either native or naturalized, a permanent resident, and asylee, a refugee, or a resident of Manitoba or Saskatchewan.

Dependents of Alumni

The State Board of Higher Education has enacted a Tuition Incentive Program for non-resident dependents and spouses of graduates of North Dakota’s 11 public colleges. This Tuition Incentive Program allows undergraduate students who are dependents or spouses of graduates of North Dakota’s 11 public colleges to attend a North Dakota University System college at 125 percent of the North Dakota resident rate. A graduate for this program is someone who has earned an associate, baccalaureate, master’s, specialist, or doctoral degree from one of the North Dakota University System colleges. A dependent is defined as someone who was claimed on the most recent federal tax return as a dependent of the graduate. Students from states included in other tuition reduction programs will be charged the lower of the two rates.

Refund Policy

Tuition refunds will be made according to the refund schedule to students who officially withdraw from the University. Requests for official withdrawal are made through the Office of Student Academic Services. Students receiving financial aid must also contact the Director of Financial Aid to develop a repayment plan. The refund is defined as the difference between the amount paid towards institutional charges (including financial aid and/or cash paid) and the amount the school can retain under the appropriate refund policy.

Refunds will be calculated on a percentage basis up to the 60 percent point in the semester. Please view our refund schedule and policy online at our Drop & Withdrawal Refunds page.

This Refund Schedule is subject to change at any time.

Room refunds will be determined on a weekly basis up to the 60 percent point of the semester.

Valley City State University has a traditional meal plan. Students enter into a contract in which they can choose from one of four different plans. A student shall receive a refund of the remaining balance of his/her flexible spending account and a prorated refund of their meal plan upon withdrawal through week 15.